A lot of people in Battle Creek know Andy Helmboldt. They know him as a former City Commissioner, as the successful 2020 campaign manager for State Representative Jim Haadsma, as a singer and musician at First Congregational Church, as an actor in local community theater, as a school teacher, a photographer, a web designer, a devoted husband, and a doting father of two daughters. But – believe it or not – there are still quite a few things about Andy you probably don’t know. Such as…
1. He once spent an afternoon reading President Bill Clinton’s mail.
“This was before the Internet, so bored wacky people with ridiculous gripes or tales of woe and no convenient platform to air them had to snail mail the President of the United States. Strange.”
2. He makes electric guitars from locally sourced reclaimed wood.
“Make an offer.”
3. Before having kids, he was big into golf.
4. Now he spends most of his time thinking about what to cook for dinner.
“Recipes are for the weak.”
5. He buys pork by the whole hog from a local farmer.
“Because that way you get to keep all the extra fat. And pork fat is a food group. Fight me.”