Just about everyone in Battle Creek knows Deana Spencer. They know she works at PNC Bank. They know she serves on the Battle Creek Human Relations Board, the Suicide Prevention Coalition of Calhoun County, and the Population Health Alliance Advisory Cabinet. And after taking a year off, they know she’s the new Co-President of Battle Creek Pride. But there are a few things about Deana you probably didn’t know. For example…
1. She has attended over 50 Joan Jett concerts, and drove to Cleveland to watch her 2015 Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony live in person.
“I also have a tattoo of a black heart on my wrist, my license plate says “JETTHED”, I named my dog ‘J.J.’ which is short for Joan Jett, and I even have her autograph tattooed on my arm. I guess you could say I’m a fan.”
2. In the 7th grade she got suspended for fighting.
“I fought a girl who was a bully and who spread terrible rumors about me. We had a toxic “friendship” and I didn’t know how to make her stop and how to stand up for myself. I’m not sure who won. I also came really close to not graduating from high school. Skipping school and causing trouble seemed more fun than going to class I guess.”
3. As a teenager she once visited Rodeo Drive in California, and went to a live taping of “The Tonight Show”.
“We saw Jay Leno when he was just starting to host on Tuesdays. We were hoping to see Johnny Carson but he had the night off. Here’s the episode from April 10th, 1989.”
4. She collects rocks and has over 200 on display in her kitchen and living room.
“I ask friends to bring me a rock or two when they go somewhere on vacation. I have some from as far away as Italy. I’ve collected them since I was a small child.”
5. She didn’t learn to drive until she was 18 years old, and didn’t get her license until she was 19.
“I was a terrible student in driver’s training and never put the effort into it until I had to. I drove for about a year with no license and even hit a parked car in a parking lot once. Oops!”